I always knew this day would come. I mean, I didn’t expect my ex-husband to stay single forever. Nor do I want him to stay single forever. I really don’t have a problem with him getting married. So in that way, I am happy that he met you. But to say that I’m happy for you would not exactly be telling the truth. You see, you aren’t exactly the woman I pictured being the stepmom to my baby girl. But, if I’m being honest, no woman probably would have measured up to that. I would want that woman to be just like me. Someone to love her just like me, and I know realistically that’s not going to happen.
I haven’t actually met you yet, so I don’t know what you think of me, but I want you to know I don’t hate you. I do hate the fact that by marrying you he is leaving our daughter and moving across the country. Because, you see, our daughter adores her father, and it’s going to crush her when he leaves. It’s hard enough on her now that she only sees him twice a week – what is she going to do only seeing him a few times a year? I don’t know if you have a father, but if you do, maybe you can imagine just a little bit how much my daughter loves her dad and how much she’s going to miss him.
I know that you don’t have any children of your own. I have already been down this path of stepmom-hood, and I can tell you that it’s hard – really hard. I know it’s not going to be any easier just because the child is mine. But when the going gets tough, please just try to remember a few things:
- When she cries because she misses me, it’s not because she doesn’t like you or even because you’re doing anything wrong. It’s because she’s six and she doesn’t adjust to change very well.
- Sometimes she gets scared and emotional at night and needs someone to lay down with her a little extra longer before bed, but then she’s usually fine.
- She’s not there to come between you and your husband, but she needs some time one-on-one with daddy too.
- She loves to bake. Any time you spend with her in the kitchen will really help her bond with you.
- Too much TV, ipad, sugar, or dye makes her CRAZY – save yourself!
- She likes to have a nightlight and a drink of water by her bed.
- If she decides one day to call you “mom” that’s ok with me – I hope it will be with you too.
I know you won’t love her just like me, and that’s ok. Unconditional love doesn’t just come overnight. She can be frustrating and sassy and too talkative – but she can be SO loving and funny and caring and she’ll be your best little friend, if you’ll just give her the chance.